Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cleaning is Happiness

Today was cleaning day in my house. And when I say cleaning day, I mean thoroughly clean one room and save the rest for another day. That's one of the main problems here--none of us want to clean the whole house. It's quite a bit of a workout; you're sweating from all the mopping and wiping down, your hands smell intensely of bleach and soap, and carrying that laundry basket of dirty clothes over a span of a month up and down the stairs will really wear you out. But there are a lot of advantages that come out of this.

First off, your house looks at least presentable. I'm usually embarrassed to have people over because our house never seems to get rid of the smell from last night's dinner and our bathroom has my brother's disgusting towels all over the floor. But when your house is neat and inviting, you really get that homely, cozy-fire kind of feeling, and it's great. Second off, a healthy home means a healthy and happy family. You can't expect to be happy in a room you can barely walk in or smells of feet. And it's hard to spend time with family--sometimes when we're playing board games, I'll see a stain on the table or my hand will touch a few crumbs and I go crazy. My reaction to uncleanliness as simple as that creates a bad reaction from my family, putting all of us in a bad mood. And third off, when I clean, it's such a good way to release all of my negative energy. I remember when I was watching a really sad episode of Glee (The one that was about Finn's death--could not even handle it), I was crying so much I didn't know what else to do but clean. And once I finished I had felt a lot better. I was happier because I was in a healthier environment and all of my negative energy had been released.

So never procrastinate on cleaning. It's better to set a schedule and to assign certain people to certain things. It isn't fun cleaning everyone else's messes all the time, so a chart is perfect. Just make sure you're cleaning because you want to, not because you feel like you have to. Cleaning doesn't exactly sound like running through daisies, but you'd be surprised. I personally enjoy it now that I've actually been doing it because I want to. Always remember that a healthy home makes for a healthy and happy family, one of the most important things there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment