Thursday, December 5, 2013

Breaking Out of Your Shell

I think one of the things that affected me the most was being too scared to do something different. To break out of my shell and have fun, have some (positive) experiences, get involved in new (legal) activities. This was something that stopped me from doing a lot of things I wish I had done when I had the chance. 

Personally, I believe that people don't do a lot of things they want to do because they're worried about what people will think, or how silly they'll look. I know a lot of people won't try out for a sports team because they feel like those who have been on it all of high school and playing for years will look down on them and judge them. Some may not want to reveal that they can sing because all their lives they've been pretending they can't, leaving people to believe they're god-awful.

Is that really how people want to live their lives?

I know from personal experiences that breaking out of my shell has left me feeling great and with such a positive attitude. I've met new people, I've had my perspective on a lot of situations altered, and now I'm writing a blog that I'm (still) worried will never make much of a difference to anyone--but it makes me happy. In fact a couple weeks ago, I gave someone from one of the other ACE teams my school competes against my number for the very first time in my life. Sure, it didn't go anywhere with him, but now I have the confidence to make such a move. Yes, that's a pretty bad example of bursting the bubble, but my confidence, self-esteem, and attitude have been upped and that always makes a difference. 

So break out of your shell, even if it's just for once. Ask that girl out, try out for that sports team, audition for that talent show--show the world what you're really made of and don't be worried about what they'll think, because in the end, it's only what you think that matters. Just be wise in your decisions.

1 comment:

  1. Breaking out of my shell was hard at first but after a while it comes to you easily. College has helped tremendously for breaking stereotypes and awkwardness.
    Your blog post speaks honesty and lots of personal experience which in turn makes it enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete